Saturday, February 19, 2011

Journal 2.19.11 - Hospital Stay


I am in the hospital.

I usually end up in one once a year, mainly for some stressed out breakdown. Usually in LA. Again, that is part of the reason I came back to Boston for a few, and where do I end up? The hospital.

All's good for the most part though. This was a legit situation. On Friday afternoon I was feeling some shortness of breath so I went to the ER where they do tests and decided that I needed to stay the night for observation and tests. Fine. Sometimes a one nighter in a hospital isn't so bad, especially when your hot Spanish Nurse, Flora, is super nice to you and sneaks you extra Saltines late night.

I didn't get much sleep last night. Ya never do in these places. I would imagine hospitals and prisons are shitty places to catch some shut eye.

They come in and look at you every hour and this is where they found out the reason I am still here.

My heart stopped for 10 seconds while sleeping. I was clinically dead for a moment. This explains all the fucked up dreams I have. It also explains why I get no sleep. I have sleep apnea. This is when you literally stop breathing while sleeping. It's pretty dangerous, and luckily they caught it here.

They sent me to Tufts Medical in downtown to do the sleep study and stress test. Cuter girls. Better food. Less TV channels.

I had to miss work. 80's dance night.

Friends have been supportive. Love them all.

They will do a few more tests, and I will have to sleep with that fighter pilot mask on my face that pumps air into my lungs so I don't snore or, more importantly, STOP BREATHING.

Now all the girls that wore earplugs in bed with me or all the roommates that lost sleep can rejoice.

Bottom line is this is another issue related to my weight and lifestyle. Yes, I am here and dealing with it, but again, it has to get better. I have to make it better. Keep eating well, and working out.

If I don't I'll be back here with a heart that stops again, for good this time.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Phin,

    Sorry to hear you are in the hospital. Hope you are feeling better soon. I have enjoyed your writing but I must say after all of those years in LA, I never thought of you as Fat Phin or FFG or any of that bullshit. You were always Phinney, the guy with a great sense of humor and a real talent.

    Best of luck,

    RV

    ReplyDelete